Hej 👋 I’m Maja Benke from Berlin, Germany.
I’m a Accessibility Consultant and Webdesigner and have a passion for
Traveling, Nature, Bouldering, Art and Accessibility.
In 2015 I joined my first WordCamp in Cologne, met the WordPress Community and attended my first Contributor Day. There I started contributing and discovered soon my passion for Accessibility.
Where has WordPress taken you?
Interview in WordCamp Brighton 2017
I started contributing in 2015, mainly in the Accessibility Team, because that is where my passion is. I have helped in writing a part of the Accessibility Handbook, and worked on Tickets in both Meta and Core. In addition I organise the Berlin WordPress Meetup and the A11y Meetup Berlin and was a Co-Organizer of WordCamp Berlin.
Sometimes I translate Themes or Plugins and I love to Speak at WordCamps about Accessibility.
At the moment I can only contribute 5 hours per week,
but I would love to contribute more (20h or more per week).
- Core Trac Tickets
- Meta Trac Tickets
- Co-Writing the A11y Team Handbook
- My Talk “Accessible Design” at WordCamp Europe 2018 in Belgrade
- My Talk “Accessibility for Dyslexia” at WordCamp Europe 2022 in Porto
She gave one of the best presentations at WordCamp Europe about the impact of dyslexia we ever saw.The A11y Collective (Newsletter)
- IONOS Podcast Episode about Accessibility (in german)
- Capital_P_odcast: Podcast from Bernhard Kau and me about WordPress (in german)
In the last couple years I have not been contribute as much, but I would love to start again. Mainly for the following Projects:
Project 1: Theme Review
40% of my contribution time.
I would like to test Themes for the Accessibility-Ready-Tag. Also I have been asked to train and create video content on how to test themes for the accessibility-ready-tag. Currently I work on a better Workflow to test Themes for the accessibilty-ready-tag.
Project 2: Train and Educate
30% of my contribution time.
- Theme Handbook Overhaul
- Testing Process & Documentation for Theme Review
- Accessibility Team Handbook
Project 3: Testing, Testing, Testing
10% of my contribution time.
- Testing WordPress Core
- Testing new Core Features
- Testing of the Block Editor and Full Site Editing
20% of my contribution time.
- Explore UI Structure for destructive actions
- Accessibility Statement Generator
- Improving Onboarding in German Docs Team
Why Sponsor Me
WordPress needs still a lot of work in Accessibility and I think my expertise as an Accessibility Consultant would be beneficial.
Because of that, I’m looking for a sponsorship for the Accessibility Team.
- Support Accessibility in WordPress, will help all companies who are releying on WordPress to make it fit for the Future. As Accessibility becoming more important, by a better awerness in the society and by laws
- Supporting Accessibility in WordPress means, that around 43% of the Internet is getting more accessible.
- Make your own product and team fit for accessibility. I can consult you and test your products for accessibility.